Friday, November 11, 2016

Week 12, October 17, 2016

Howdy Yall!
So this week has been filled with fun and lots of new experiences. We got a request for a book of mormon which was awesome! Unfortunately at the moment he isn't interested in learning more just wanted to read the book for himself. Which is a great place to start. We also were able to contact a few referrals we had received from the members. But other than that we haven't done much. Although during weekly planning we discovered that we have found 38 different people who have either moved or do not live where the records say they live. Which in the process has meant a lot of slammed doors and people yelling at us that they don't want us to come there. Which has been lots of fun. But what can you do. People get to choose and sometimes they do not choose to be nice. But you love them anyway. Beyond that I had an awesome time on sunday getting to see the Fort Collins temple dedication. It was an amazing experience. Although it was somewhat frustrating because my companion forgot his recommend and as we went to go back to the house to get it my bike malfunctions and the front derailer gets all twisted so we were gonna have to walk all the way home, likely miss that session of the dedication and have to walk back at 3 to catch the next dedication. Luckily our district leader pulled up just as we were leaving. They gave us a ride and we were able to make the session. Still had to walk my bike home after but It was all good. And just so I dont cause anyone to worry, I already got my bike fixed today so Its all taken care of. I am sorry I dont have any pictures, I forgot my cord to upload them. But will send this weeks pictures next week. 
I want you all to know how much I love you all. You are all so amazing and I have loved every second I have been able to associate with all of you. You all have taught me so much and quite frankly without you guys, I would not be the man I am today. Thank you all so much. I love all of you.
Sincerely
 Elder Lindh

So for all of you who are not familiar with what a temple is I would like to share my fellow missionaries letter. I think he did an excellent job of talking about the temple and would like to mention that I am open and willing to answer any questions any of you might have. But here is what he said.



HEY!

Ok, so this week was interesting. We couldn't invite people to church because there were not any church services on Sunday. Instead, another temple was Dedicated! The Fort Collins Temple. I got to go to the dedication and it was absolutely amazing. And that is why I want to talk about temples this week.

Some of you may have wondered what exactly an LDS temple is, what goes on inside them, and why Mormons are so quiet about said interior activities. I'd like to address these questions. 

An LDS temple is, quite simply put, "The House of The LORD". We believe that He follows patterns. After all, he is "the same today, yesterday, and forever". In the days of Moses, God commanded his followers to build a Tabernacle (a portable temple) where sacrifices where to be preformed and the priests where to go to commune with God. When the Children of Israel reached their promised land, God commanded that the Ark of The Covenant be placed in a permanent resting place, or a Temple. This building was the new tabernacle. It was used for Mosaic Law purposes until Christ fulfilled that law, and replaced it with a higher law. The Temple was still used by the Saints until around 180 - 250 A.D. for the performance of Ordinances. One such Ordinance was Baptism for the Dead (see 1st Corinthians 15:29. Yes, I know. The topic that is the focus in this passage is the Resurrection, whereas Paul's mention of Baptism for the Dead is mentioned almost in passing. But that is to be expected due to how common place the practice was back then among the saints. His point is simple. Allow me to put in in modern English.
"Why are they baptized by proxy for the dead, if there is no Resurrection? There would be no point in the Baptism, if Resurrection was not a true principle.")

When God restored His Church through a Prophet (just as he did through Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Moses), He commanded just as he did in the Church of Jesus Christ of Former Day Saints that the children of Israel build him a house. This is why we build temples. 

Now, I've already covered some of what occurs inside these Holy Edifices. In addiction to Baptism by proxy, Other ordinances are preformed in the Temple. Through these Ordinances, we receive instruction and further dedicate ourselves to God. We DO NOT perform sacrifice within the temple. 

Now, why are we so quiet about the Temple? Because it is sacred. I'm sure you all have heard of the Book of Mormon play. What we don't want is for someone to make a mockery of something even holier to us than simple church history. (By the way, the only true parts of the play are: the fact that we call our missionaries Elder or Sister. The first presiding member was named Joseph Smith. And That we Believe in Jesus Christ. Everything else is false.) If we were to speak openly about the temple it would truly be "casting [our] pearls before swine"  The details of what happens inside are for everyone to learn. but that knowledge must be gained the way all of us gained it. By being worthy to enter the Temple, and then going to learn for ourselves. 


If I need to clarify anything, please please please let me know. I want everyone to understand what I am trying to say.


Again. I am willing to answer any questions. whether its about the gospel or not. You can ask me anything. And even if I cant answer perfectly I will try my best. I love you all and hope this letter helps you understand a bit more about what the temple means to members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment